Moto-hiking Nordkapp & Halti 7-14.6.2012

Date: 7-14.6.2012

Distance: 3000+ km
Company: Solo


Combining motorcycling and hiking was a new and exciting experience. The 3000 km tour took me via Inari to Kirkenes, Nordkapp, Hammerfest, Alta and Kilpisjärvi. I hiked the northernmost hiking trail on mainland Europe. It's 18 kilometres and takes you even further north than the ‘Tourist Norkapp’. While logging the northernmost Geocach the rainbow suddenly appeared nicely around the kape of Nordkapp. A scene I assume is quite rare. I had to steel the only wind-sheltered tent ground from a herd of raindeer. Sorry. On my way home I also hiked to the top of Halti from the Norwegian side. This is the short and easy way -if you manage to get to the parking lot, which is quite challenging to reach along a rocky and winding road. From the parking lot it’s only 6 kilometres to the summit. If you start from Kilpisjärvi in Finland it’s app. 60 kilometres. While standing on the top I saw the fog starting to role in from the Finnish side and hurried back down. This was my second summiting of Halti (nr. 103163) From the parking lot I drove non-stop to my parents house in Pedersöre. A distance slightly over 1.000 kilometres. However not under 24 hours so no ‘Iron butt’-award this time.

No comments: